[PiN-diskusjon] [Doctorow] 200 free copies of Little Brother for high-school newspaper reviewers (fwd)

Thomas Gramstad thomas at efn.no
Tir 11. Mar 2008 00:14:15 CET

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:09:40 +0000
From: Cory Doctorow <doctorow at craphound.com>
Subject: [Doctorow] 200 free copies of Little Brother for high-school	newspape
    reviewers

My next novel, Little Brother, is coming out in about six weeks, on
April 29. It's a book for young adults, about freedom, surveillance, and
how technology can be used to free you or to lock you up. It's about a
gang of hacker/gamer kids in San Francisco who use technology to restore
freedom to America, despite the damndest efforts of the Department of
Homeland Security to take it away in the name of fighting terrorism.

Since this book is intended for high-school-age kids, my publisher has
agreed to send 200 advance review copies of the book to school newspaper
reviewers, along with the same press-kit that gets sent to "real" papers
like the New York Times and the Washington Post (actually, the school
kit has even more stuff -- it also includes a signed personal letter
explaining why I wrote this book and why I hope kids will read it).

If you edit or write for your school paper (or if you have kids or
friends that do) and you're interested in receiving a copy, send an
email to torpublicity at tor.com with the subject line "DON?T TRUST ANYONE
OVER 25" -- and include your contact info, high school/newspaper, and
mailing address.

Here are some nice things that other preview readers have had to say
about Little Brother:

"A rousing tale of techno-geek rebellion, as necessary and dangerous as
file sharing, free speech, and bottled water on a plane."
- Scott Westerfeld, author of UGLIES and EXTRAS

"I can talk about Little Brother in terms of its bravura political
speculation or its brilliant uses of technology -- each of which make
this book a must-read -- but, at the end of it all, I'm haunted by the
universality of Marcus's rite-of-passage and struggle, an experience any
teen today is going to grasp: the moment when you choose what your life
will mean and how to achieve it."
  - Steven C Gould, author of JUMPER and REFLEX

I'd recommend Little Brother over pretty much any book I've read this
year, and I'd want to get it into the hands of as many smart teenagers,
male and female, as I can.

Because I think it'll change lives. Because some kids, maybe just a few,
won't be the same after they've read it. Maybe they'll change
politically, maybe technologically. Maybe it'll just be the first book
they loved or that spoke to their inner geek. Maybe they'll want to
argue about it and disagree with it. Maybe they'll want to open their
computer and see what's in there. I don't know. It made me want to be 13
again right now and reading it for the first time, and then go out and
make the world better or stranger or odder. It's a wonderful, important
book, in a way that renders its flaws pretty much meaningless.
-Neil Gaiman, author of ANASI BOYS

Little Brother on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0765319853/downandoutint-20
--
Cory Doctorow
doctorow at craphound.com

latest collection: craphound.com/overclocked
latest novel: craphound.com/someone

blog: boingboing.net
vanity: craphound.com
podcast: feeds.feedburner.com/doctorow_podcast
second novel: craphound.com/est
collection: craphound.com/place
novel: craphound.com/down

Join my mailing list and find out about upcoming books, stories,
articles and appearances:

READ CAREFULLY. By reading this email, you agree, on behalf of your
employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
any and all NON-NEGOTIATED  agreements, licenses, terms-of-service,
shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure,
non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have
entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and
assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and
privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release
me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.

You are subscribed as: thomas at gramstad.no

Or - click on this:

To change your options:
http://mailman.ctyme.com/options/doctorow/thomas%40gramstad.no