[PiN-diskusjon] [Doctorow] Guardian column: Surveillance makes it harder to fight crime (fwd)

Thomas Gramstad thomas at ifi.uio.no
Tir 17. Jun 2008 17:24:05 CEST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:44:50 +0100
From: Cory Doctorow <doctorow at craphound.com>
To: Thomas Gramstad <thomas at gramstad.no>
Cc: doctorow at ctyme.com
Subject: [Doctorow] Guardian column: Surveillance makes it harder to fight

My latest Guardian column "Surveillance: You can know too much,"
explains how collecting too much information on innocent people makes it
harder to catch guilty ones:

> At a certain point, data gathered to predict the weather overwhelms your capacity to add it to your calculations efficiently, resulting in ever-longer runtimes that give less accurate predictions. It's better to crunch the data needed to calculate tomorrow's weather in 10 minutes (and refine your guess twice an hour) than to shovel so much data into the hopper that you don't get tomorrow's forecast until next week.
>
> The sweet spot lies somewhere between gathering too much information and gathering too little ˙˙ and the secret to hitting that spot is intelligent, discriminating data-acquisition.
>
> Take London: cover every square inch of the city with CCTVs and you'll get so much information that you'll never make any sense of it. Scotland Yard says that CCTVs help solve fewer than 3% of all crimes, while a study in San Francisco found that at best, criminals simply move out of camera range, while at worst they assume no one is watching.
>
> Similarly, if you take fingerprints from every person who applies for a visa ˙˙ or worse still, from every person in Britain who has to carry one of the proposed new biometric cards ˙˙ you will fill the databases with chaff that slows down searches, generates endless false matches, and threatens everyone in the database with the worst kind of identity theft.

The Guardian:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jun/17/surveillance.database
--
Cory Doctorow
doctorow at craphound.com

blog: boingboing.net
vanity: craphound.com
podcast: feeds.feedburner.com/doctorow_podcast
Free novel: Little Brother: craphound.com/littlebrother
Free novel: Someone Comes to Town: craphound.com/someone
Free novel: Eastern Standard Tribe: craphound.com/est
Free novel: Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom: craphound.com/down
Free stories: Overclocked: craphound.com/overclocked
Free stories: A Place So Foreign: craphound.com/place

Join my mailing list and find out about upcoming books, stories,
articles and appearances:

READ CAREFULLY. By reading this email, you agree, on behalf of your
employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
any and all NON-NEGOTIATED  agreements, licenses, terms-of-service,
shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure,
non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have
entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and
assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and
privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release
me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.

You are subscribed as: thomas at gramstad.no

Or - click on this:

To change your options:
http://mailman.ctyme.com/options/doctorow/thomas%40gramstad.no